Race Report for Beaches Jazz Run 2016

It's been 5 years since I ran my last 5k race (Pride & Remembrance - 2011). I knew it was time to do another one. I'm still recovery from my hysterectomy last September but training has gone well and I wanted to prove something to myself. I had signed up for 2 triathlons, one in August and another in September. I figured a 5k race will be a nice addition in July.

There were a few coming up, but I chose the Beaches Jazz Run. It was a decent price and not far for me to get to. It was small, but not too small (150+ people finished). So I signed up for it in early July. I wasn't totally unprepared. My coach bumped up the speed work a couple weeks before the race and all was looking pretty good.

The week leading up to the race my stomach wasn't doing so good. I recently went on medication for my hiatus hernia/gastritis and it has some side effects that are not very pleasant. Thankfully by Thursday I was feeling better. But the weather was seriously hot and it looked like it was going to be another scorcher of a weekend. Sunday's weather looked slightly cooler though and I was kind of relieved by that.





On race day I got up at 5:30am, made coffee & had a banana with pb on a Ozery Morning Glory flat bun (they were in our race kit). The coffee did it's job and I was happy that I didn't have to deal with that at the race venue. My husband and I took at cab around 7, and got there just after 7:15, an hour early. Glad I did. Line up to the bathroom was long as I started in line around 7:20 & by 7:30 I was still waiting. That was the time the half started and saw a few stragglers running to the start like. It seemed pretty low key though and even when I lined up for the 5k start they told people they could still start as it was chipped. After the bathroom I went for a little warm up run. Felt good but a little nervous. It was warm & humid with a light breeze. Sun was out and it was going to be a scorcher.


At about 8:05 I got into the start line, a little too close to the front. I debated on going back farther but I didn't want to trample on people and figured it would be better if they ran past me. Started off a little fast (Here's an instagram photo of the start: allisonvandekemplink), in the 7min/mi range & I wasn't going to sustain that, so slowed down slightly until I saw the 8min/mi range on my Garmin. I had a few people pass me in the 1st 1k but after awhile the only people passing me were the half mile runners.


After the turn around point the breeze was on my face, which was a relief as it was cooler but then I noticed it slowed me down. I had to pick it back up. Thankfully it was one of those days where there was no smell coming from the Ashbridges Bay waste water plant and my stomach was good. I had a few more half marathon runners pass me in the last km but for the most part I was on my own. I past a garbage truck that made me feel a little nauseous due to the smell but I talked myself out of barfing. Got to the last 500m and I could hear a woman running up behind me. As she was starting passing me I picked up and ran with her. I think she was running the 10k but I made her work for it. She beat me by a hair but I don't know if she was running the 5k or not. I thanked her for pushing me but she either ignored me or didn't hear me.


When I finished my breathing was very difficult. I had to keep walking and waited for my breath to catch up. Dave was there at the end and caught some photos of me. I looked pretty warn out. I went and got some food and then waited for the results. Dave was pretty sure I was in the top 10 females. That was somewhat surprising to me, but I knew not a lot of women passed me. When I saw the results I was flabergasted. Top woman in my age group!! 6th woman overall and 22nd place overall.


Photos from Beaches Jazz Run by Dave Hood  



We waited until they gave out the prizes as I knew this meant I was getting shoes. They announced the kids first, then the overall winners. Then they got to the Master's Award. I wasn't really paying attention at this point as I was waiting for the 40-49 women but when they said the time of 26:46 I was like, wait... me? I went up and got my award @beachesrunner. It was a new pair of Pearl Izumi running shoes and a $25 gift certificate to Energia. What???? This can't possibly be? It wasn't even a PR!

I'm so happy with the results. This was my first race since my surgery and I couldn't be happier. Don't worry, I won't let this go to my head. I don't expect these kinds of results every time but it's good to know I still have it in me to run fast.

I highly recommend this race, it was fun and a really good price for a chipped running event. Thanks to my husband for believing in me (and thanks so much for getting all those pictures). Thanks to my coach for getting me here!


Blog Category: 
Web Analytics