Bone Scan

Today I had my bone scan. Since it was in Stratford, ON, my hometown, I stayed at a hotel the night before since my appointment was at 8:15am. Good planning. A 2 hour drive around 6am would not have been good. I didn't get much sleep last night so the extra 1 or so I got was needed.

Left the hotel around 7:30ish and made a stop at Zehrs since I forgot my hair brush at home. /facepalm Then got to the Stratford General Hospital around 7:55am. I wasn't given a confirmation phone call the day before like I did when I had the EMG last month, so I was a little clueless of where to actually go. I went to the same place as the EMG, but there were no receptionists and the list of things done in that area did not include bone scan. Went back downstairs and saw "Nuclear Medicine". I remembered when researching bone scans that I saw that word and that the injection I was getting would be "radioactive material", so I figured that was the right place. But the sign said to go to Patient Registration. So back to the front to do the patient registration. That didn't take too long and then I was back in the waiting room for the MRI/Nuclear Medicine area.

When I got in there, there was an elderly woman and her friend waiting for someone to see her as she was having day surgery. They were in the middle of doing some Tai Chi and were hoping that I wouldn't be disturbed by it. I wasn't. I actually thought of joining them since I was so bloody nervous. You see, I didn't get the confirmation and I thought maybe I screwed up the day or that they didn't reschedule the appointment for the appropriate day. By 8:10 the technologist called for the woman and they were off. Still no receptionist in the MRI/Nuclear Medicine waiting area. Ugh oh. I was afraid I messed up. At 8:20 another woman walked into the waiting area and 10 minutes after that another technologist came in and called her. Ok, now I was really freaked out. OMG! Was I sitting in the wrong area? I walked down further and there was another waiting room that said "Nuclear Medicine". Then I started pacing & complaining on Twitter. Another woman came into the waiting area to wait her turn. Then at about 8:40am a (what I think was a technologist) was in the reception area getting some things so I asked her if I was actually scheduled. She said that my name was there and that they are probably just behind. Ok, that was good enough. I can live with being late, but messing up the appointment date wouldn't have been so good.

Around 8:50 am the technologist that got the older woman around 8:10 came back and got me. He told me what he was going to do and then asked if I had any questions. I didn't so he swabbed my arm up and then injected me with the "radioactive material". That was the worsed part and believe me, it wasn't that bad. It didn't take too long either. Then they did a preliminary scan on my ankles. I was allowed to leave and then I had to come back for 11am just short of 2 hours later.

I grabbed a bottle of water at the hospital and downed it while I walked downtown to get some coffee. The technologist had told me to drink lots of fluids and I didn't want to screw this up! Got to Balzac's and had a coffee, a dessert bar and some green juice. I don't know what the green juice was, but it felt healthy and actually tasted good. I didn't feel any weirdness from the needle so things felt great. Thankfully I got a ride back to the hospital and was ready at 11am.

The technologist asked if I needed to use the bathroom, but I let him know I had already done so. Good thing too. I read later that the fluid in your bladder can block the pelvis bone in the scan. That would be bad. I was told to lay still on my back and a flat scanner would scan my whole body. It was about 2 feet by 2 feet or so. It started at my head and slowly moved down to my ankles. That took about 25 minutes or so. Then he got me to turn my head to the left and he re-scanned my head, then I layed on my left side and he re-scanned my ankles. He got me to get up out of the table and he moved it. He said I could put my shoes back on and while doing so I grabbed my glasses (definitely could't have those on while scanning my head). I was able to get a look at the images on the screen. I didn't like what I saw.

I sat down on a chair and I was about to get my wrists scanned, when the scanner stopped working. At this point there were 2 technologists in there and the 2 of them got it working again. It just required a reboot of the scanner and the computer it was connected to. I asked if I broke the scanner. He chuckled and said no. Phew. ;) It started back up and he scanned my wrists. I watched the monitor with the scanned image and I saw the same thing on my wrists that I had seen with the ankles. At one point the other technologist moved the screen. I think she knew I was staring at it and that I had a sinking feeling. Next was the elbows which made me put my body in an awkward position. I probably could of done it better but my face was squeezed up again the machine and after 2 minutes was hurting my neck. Brilliant. Thankfully the technologist stopped the scan after about 3 minutes. Again same results with the elbows.

Once I was done I asked the technologist how long it would take for me to know the results. "Probably a week" he said. Ok, that was good enough for me. I left the hospital, waiting for my ride and of course when straight to the internet. Was what I saw a "hot spot"? How could it be that it was on my both ankles, elbows and wrists. Was it on my knees or anywhere else? I didn't have my glasses on during the full body scan so I couldn't see anything.

I know I saw what looked like "hot spots", but who knows what it means. I can't worry too much about it at this time. I'll get the results next week from my doctor and I'll manage it at that time.

In the meantime... I need a drink.

Blog Category: 
Web Analytics